Welsh Food News
Welsh Food brings you the news and information from Food & Drink producers in Wales including the latest information on Welsh food festivals, new food trends, the True Taste Wales Awards, Welsh restaurants and much more.
for a full list of Welsh food news or browse the latest headlines below.
Latest Welsh Food News
- Food Standards Agency hygiene warning over turkey The Food Standards Agency (FSA) have said a batch of turkey butterflies processed by Severnside Provisions in Newport, and supplied to butchers in some parts of England and Wales should not be eaten.
- Pembrokeshire Early Potato awarded Protected Geographical Indication status by EU The Pembrokeshire Early Potato has been awarded Protected Geographical Indication status by the European Commission, alongside other familiar products such as Welsh Lamb and Welsh Beef, which means that only potatoes that are grown in Pembrokeshire will be allowed to be called Pembrokeshire Early potatoes.
- Six meals a week thrown away by households in Wales Recycling group The Waste and Resources Action Programme (WRAP) have reported that £610,000,000 of edible food worth is thrown away every year in Wales. This is the equivalent of six meals wasted every week by the average Welsh household and include the top three foods: milk, potatoes and bread.
- European protection bid for Welsh plum Officials are applying to get protected status for a plum, said to have been grown in Denbigh by medieval monks. Ian Sturrock said the Europe Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) status would mean “Recognition for the Denbigh plum would be a real boost to food producers in Denbighshire and help put them on the national food map”
- Hennighan’s in Machynlleth named Wales’ best chippy A chippy run by two former judges of a national chip shop award has been crowned best in Wales.
Hennighan’s in Machynlleth, Powys, is one of 10 regional winners in the National Fish and Chip Awards 2014.
Man and wife David and Eleanor Hennighan previously won the Welsh title in 2004 and then served on the awards’ judging panel in 2010-11.