- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed and discarded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 200g/7oz risotto rice
- 250ml/9fl oz vermouth or dry white wine
- 500ml/18fl oz organic vegetable or chicken stock
- 25g/1oz butter
- 1 small handful Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, plus a block for grating
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time – around 30 mins
Cooking time – 10 to 30 mins
Serves – 2
Cook asparagus in boiling water for a few minutes until tender. Drain and allow them to cool, then chop stalks into tiny discs, keeping the tips whole and set aside.
To cook the risotto – heat the olive oil in a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic without colouring, until softened. Add the risotto rice and cook for one minute, stirring continuously and then quickly pour in the vermouth or wine and simmer until evaporated and absorbed by the rice.
Add the organic vegetable or chicken stock a ladleful at a time, stirring and waiting until it has been fully absorbed before adding the next, until the rice is cooked and the stock has been absorbed – this should take around 15 minutes. Add the asparagus, butter and Parmesan, check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed and stir well.
Do you have a recipe to share?
If you’d like to feature your recipe on the Welsh Food website please contact us with your details here.